During an asthma attack, you should immediately follow the 5 Step Rule:
Don't hesitate to call 999 or 112 if you're worried at any stage.
1. Stay calm. Sit up straight- do not lie down.
2. Take slow, steady breath.
3. Take 1 puff of your reliever inhaler (usually blue) every minute.
- People over 6 years can take up to 10 puffs in 10 minutes
- Children under 6 years can take up to 6 puffs in 10 minutes.
4. Call 12 or 999 if your symptoms do not improve after 10 minutes.
5. Repeat Step 3 if an ambulance has not arrived in 10 minutes.
Remember, during an asthma attack:
- Do not the person on their own.
- Extra puffs of reliever inhaler (usually blue) are safe.
- it is perfectly safe to use someone else's reliever inhaler if you're not carrying your own
Everyone with asthma should carry their reliever inhaler at all times.