An Asthma Action Plan is a document that contains all the information you need to keep you asthma under control. All children and adults with asthma should fill in an Asthma Action Plan with their GP or asthma nurse.
An Asthma Action Plan is a written, step by step guide to help you manage your asthma and recognise when it’s getting worse. Your Asthma Action Plan is filled out with your GP or asthma nurse, who will make sure the plan is completely tailored to you or your child. Click here to download the Asthma Action Plan.
A completed Asthma Action Plan will include the following information:
- A list of your medication and when to take it (even when you're feeling well)
- Information on how to care for your asthma when you’re feeling well , slightly symptomatic and even uncontrolled.
- How to tell if your asthma is getting worse
- What to do if your asthma symptoms keep getting worse
- What to do if you have an asthma attack (The 5 Step Rule)
- Any important contact information like your GP or emergency contacts.
Having a written Asthma Action Plan can help you to:
- Reduce your chance of needing to urgently visit your doctor or the hospital
- Improve your lung function
- Reduce the number of days off work or school which are taken because of asthma
You can also phone our Asthma Adviceline on 1800 44 54 64 and we can arrange for you to speak to one of our asthma specialist nurses. The nurse will be able to advise you as you fill out an Asthma Action Plan for you or your child.
Keep Your Asthma Action Plan Updated
It is important to take your completed action plan with you to every asthma appointment you have- including A&E or any consultant visits. This way, if any changes are made to your treatment or the way you care for your asthma, then you can ask your GP nurse or consultant to make sure your plan is up to date.
Your Asthma Action Plan should also be reviewed and updated at every asthma review appointment you have. For most adults these should take place at least once a year with children being reviewed at least every 6 months.
Where Can I Get an Asthma Action Plan?
You can download a printable copy of our Asthma Action Plan by clicking on the link below.
You can also call us on (01) 817 8886 to order a free Asthma Management Pack. This includes an asthma action plan and other information to help you control your asthma.
Alternatively, you can phone our Asthma Adviceline on 1800 44 54 64 to request an Asthma Action Plan and an Asthma Management Pack as well as to organise at appointment with one of our Adviceline Nurses who will advise you on filling out the plan for you or your child