Here you'll find the most recent (2019) facts and figures of asthma in Ireland.
Asthma Prevelance in Ireland
- 890,000 people in Ireland experience asthma at some stage of their life.
- 380,000 people in Ireland currently have asthma.
- 1 in 13 people in Ireland currently have asthma.
- 1 in 10 children currently have asthma.
- 1 in 5 children experience asthma at some stage in their life.
- One person dies every six days as a result of their asthma.
- €472 million: the amount asthma costs the state per annum.
- Seven: The average number of work days missed every year due to asthma.
- Five: The average number of school days missed every year due to asthma.
- 8,000: The number of asthma admissions to hospital every year.
- Four minutes: How often someone in Ireland visits an Emergency Department with asthma.
- Four minutes: Frequency of ER visits due to asthma.
- €1,242: The annual average cost of asthma per person.
- 625,000: the number of asthma Practise Nurse consultations annually.
- 2.4 million: the number of asthma GP consultations annually.
- 2.68 days: Average length of stay with an asthma hospital admission.
- Ireland had the second highest rate of asthma hospital discharges in Western Europe in 2016.
- 40,593: The number of children registered under the Asthma Cycle of Care programme.
The Asthma Lifecycle
The Asthma Lifecycle illustrates the requirements of people with asthma at each stage of their lives.
All their Life:
- Tobacco Reduction
- Affordable Medication
- Long-Term Illness Scheme
- DPS Threshold Reduction
- Free Annual GP Review
- Respiratory Consultants
- Clean Outdoor Air
- Clean Air In Their Homes
- ASI Asthma in Pregnancy Programme
- Access to paediatric respiratory consultants
- ASI Asthma in Early Childhood Programme
- Increased training for GPs and practise nurses
- Extension of free GP asthma review to everyone under 18
- access to spirometry to ensure accurate diagnosis (8+ years)
- ASI Schools and Sports programme
18 - 80+ Years:
- ASI "Just Diagnosed" campaign funding
- Reliever inhaler as part of their First Aid Kit
- Paediatric lungs function labs
- Recruit respiratory doctors and nurses
- Access to spirometry to ensure accurate diagnosis