In February 2015 we launched our new five year strategy: Vision 2020. Our new vision for the future is an Ireland where everyone with asthma lives life to the full symptom free.
Asthma rates are high in Ireland; with around 470,000 people having the condition. We know that people with asthma face challenges such as:
keeping their symptoms under control,
avoiding triggers in everyday life,
getting access to the right treatment,
and paying high prices for medication compared to some other European countries.
In the context of all these challenges, 60% of people with asthma in Ireland don’t have it under control and the number of hospitalisations, emergency department visits and deaths from asthma are not reducing.
Vision 2020 is an ambitious plan that aims to engage with and empower people with asthma, to influence society and government and to build support structures for health care professionals to allow them to better treat asthma.
- Our mission is to save lives and improve the lives of people with asthma.
- Our vision is everyone with asthma living a full life, symptom free.
1. Empower all people with asthma to manage their condition at all stages on the patient journey.
2. Engage with young people to empower them and their carers.
3. Lead the way in understanding the challenges faced by people with asthma in Irish society and influence the Government and society for change.
4. Work with Health Care Professionals to improve their understanding of the needs of people with asthma.
At the core of the Asthma Society’s Vision 2020 are adults and young people with asthma.
Our members play an important part in shaping our direction and informing our work. There is strength in numbers and our strength comes from the unified voice of people with asthma. We believe that through Vision 2020 we can help people with asthma achieve their fullest potential and make the changes they need, both in their own lives and in society.
Read the full strategy here Vision 2020.